Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Peavy Thoughts

If we weren't willing to trade the farm last year for Santana, why would we be willing to do it for Jake Peavy?

Peavy has been a great pitcher - in the National League. Peavy has been a great pitcher in the NL WEST. Off the top of my head the only other pitcher I can remember coming from the NL west to the AL was Chan Ho Park. Park's last 2 year with the Dodgers - 3.27 and 3.50; Park's first 2 years with the Rangers - 5.75 and 7.58. 

Don't get me wrong - Peavy is substantially better than Park; but there is no doubt that switching from the NL west to the AL east will increase his ERA - the question is by how much. I believe it is a change worthy of a full point in ERA. This makes Peavy around a 4.00 era pitchers for the Yanks. I don't know about you, but I think Hughes will put up numbers better than a 4.00 era!

With more proven options available without having to give up any prospects, we as Yankee fans can completely ignore all of those Peavy to Yanks rumors and concentrate on the things that actually have  chance of happening. 

2 comments:

Jessica Lee said...

I totally agree with you. Not to mention he doesn't want to play for us. Hughes will be fine. He just needs more time.

Rad said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I was trying to make this point on another blog, but in comparison to CC. $140 million, I don't think he's worth anywhere near that. He was decent as an AL pitcher, he was dominant in the NL, so leave him out there.
Peavy was a 6 inning pitcher, without a DH in the lineup. What will happen with the deeper AL lineups? Nice comparison to Park.

Nice post man

Search This Blog