Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Andy Delivers Serious Blow to Rocket

Before I go into the details I thought it was important to state a fact first; there are two contributors to this blog and sometimes we disagree on certain topics. One of those topics is the Roger Clemens saga. I am stating this because my post is about to contradict the feelings and beliefs that my blog partner has expressed here previously and some of you may simply think this is a 180 based on the evidence. It is not, I have always felt this way.

Roger Clemens' case has now taken a huge credibility hit. According to Newsday....

Sources said McNamee has told investigators that in the winter of 2002, he, Clemens and Pettitte were working out together at the gym in Clemens' Houston home. According to the sources, McNamee says that during a break in the workout, Pettitte went over to McNamee by himself and asked: "How come you don't give me the stuff you give Roger?" McNamee supposedly replied, "Because it's illegal."
...and now on to Pettitte

Pettitte's account matches McNamee's in most details

So now we are supposed to believe both are lying? Or as Rocket claims they are talking about medications besides steroids? Even if it was something other than steroids that's enough to create suspicion. After all, if a player will take other illegal drugs why wouldn't he take steroids? I have always believed Roger was lying and this does nothing but solidify that. Look at some of the relevant facts:


  • Nobody else has disputed McNamee's claims
  • Andy backed up McNamee and his story
  • The needles
  • "I was eating Vioxx like it was Skittles" - Roger Clemens
  • The Tape - Why wouldn't Roger ask McNamee why he was lying?
  • McNamee had everything to lose by lying, nothing to gain.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day as Rocket will most likely bring out all the stops to defend himself. The thing that I do not understand is why hasn't a player taken the stance we all know is true and might actually give them some vindication? I want someone to stand up and say:


"Yes, I did steroids but it was necessary to compete at a high level. Was it wrong ? Yes. I apologize for it but I wanted to maintain a high-level of performance for me, my family and my team. To do that I needed to have the same advantage as the other top players and that meant taking steroids."


I know the truth is not something baseball, its union, or Selig is really interested in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some pitcher actually did that and had a feature aired on ESPN. Said exactly what you said.

Anonymous said...

"McNamee had everything to lose and nothing to gain" I disagree with this statement. He needed a big fish in order to get out of serious trouble. The truth is he gave some information, then some more and then finally he gave up Roger. If he had nothing to lose why not give Roger up right away???? The one thing which came out which nobody reported was that he was a former police officer. He knew the law and how to keep evidence and how to keep a money trail or tape which would prove he was telling the truth but none of that happen. If he was worried that Roger would turn on him, he could have saved better evidence to prove he is telling the truth.

Search This Blog